Saturday, April 30, 2011

New Quilting Tool

I hadn't planned on getting on the "quilting tool tutorial band wagon." I'm not the most experienced or confident quilter. However, I thought I'd share something with you that is a really great quilting tool. I have to get a number of blocks finished, which involved flying geese. The method I'm using today is the tried and true sew two magic corners on a rectangle and voila! You are done. I do have these and plan on trying them when I have a few extra minutes. Like any self respecting quilter, I love gadgets. I am so impressed with the people who dream up these wonderful tools and techniques that make quilting so much more interesting, as well as easier.

I usually use a different tool to help me speed sew magic corners (and half square triangles), but alas, I couldn't find them. What does that say? My sewing room needs some serious organization! Anyway, I grabbed my Clearly Perfect Angles tool. I hadn't used it before so I was anxious to see how it worked.


You can purchase them from New Leaf Stitches. Their web site even has some awesome videos showing you exacty how to use them.


The thing I love about these is that they are acrylic and cling to your sewing table with no tape. They are thin so there is not "bump" and are completely repositional. You cut out a small area for your feed dogs and away you go.



You can chain stitch to your heart's content without having to pin. Just keep the point of your square on the middle line and ZOOM ZOOM!!!



See how flexible the material is? You can even leave them in place all the time while you are doing other sewing. They won't move or get in the way. How cool is that!!?!!



I have more than one sewing machine so I'm marking mine so I know which one goes with which machine. This one goes with my Bernina 1090 and my other one will go with my Bernina 440. Hey, I need to buy another for my Singer Featherweight!




2 comments:

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

My mom was a great quilter. I am in awe of anyone who quilts, including you!
Hugs,
Penny

PamKittyMorning said...

I am finally getting around to catching up on everyone's blog. Love all the picture, the garden is lovely, you know I have a love for that kind of thing. And so happy your son is home safe and sound. xo