Sunday, November 24, 2013

Snow Story

We had snow last Thursday.  One day of beautiful snow.  The problem this time is that the temperatures dropped so drastically and everything turned to ice.  It looked so peaceful and innocent but underneath the snow on the roads was another story all together.  I wasn't truly aware of the ice problem and I thought on Friday that I would run to the library to return The Bletchley Circle dvd and pick up the latest copy of Midsomer Murders.  Hubs and I are great British television fans and our local library is awesome and has quite a wonderful selection.  I can reserve a book or dvd online and when it's in I go pick it up.  They have self checkout so I'm in and out in less than 5 minutes.

So off I go and it wasn't long before I realized that it wasn't one of my most brilliant ideas.   A six mile round trip on solid ice.  Me with no snow tires or front wheel drive.  It was too late to turn around by the time I realized my mistake so I trudged along.  The great thing about it is that everyone just took it slow.  Like 20 miles per hour slow.  I did have to coast through one stop sign as the car just didn't want to stop.

I made it home just fine!  Whew.  I swore off going anywhere until May!!!!!  Now, did I ever mention our driveway?  It's slanted.  A lot!! I had shoveled the walkway up to the house and the sidewalk but not the driveway.  I started to but a.) I was tired, and b.) I started to slip and slide.  That should have been my first clue not to go out.  When I got back I couldn't get the car up the drive.  Back and forth I went and each time I went a little further but not enough to get into the garage.  Right about then the neighbors parents came by.  The Dad got out and said he'd push while I tried it again.  Oh, Lord, I though sure I would run over him.  I got a little way but the car stopped and I slammed on the brakes.  Then he got the snow shovel and cleared the driveway and I gunned it.  "Please, oh, please, don't let me crash into the house!"  Success!!!!!!  I woke up the next day and the driveway was all clear.  Unbeknownst to be, my other neighbors had come out after work on Friday and shoveled the drive and sprinkled ice melt "stuff" on it.  (The same neighbors who cleaned my gutters!  Aren't I fortunate!?)

It's Sunday and I haven't ventured out since.  The roads are clear, albeit it's freezing out, so I think I may go out today.  If for no other reason than to get some more of "stuff" you sprinkle around to make the snow melt.  I did learn some things:

1.  If you think you need to go out in bad weather, rethink it.
2.  If you have to do something, be brave and do it.  You just might surprise yourself.
3.  There are so many nice people out there who are willing to help when you need it.  I preface that with don't ask for help until you have tried to help yourself and you just can't do it alone.
4.  Pass it on.  I can't shovel snow or clean gutters but I can rake the neighbors leaves and bake cookies.

Hubs and I are going to have a quiet Thanksgiving just the two of us this year.  We had an invitation from some friends who live about three hours from here.  We spent Christmas with them last year and took Maggie with us.   We had a wonderful time and stayed a few days.  However, with getting little Mollie and her being still a little skittish, we thought it best to stay home.  I haven't decided whether to go ahead and cook a big meal or go out.  Maybe we'll take in a movie - or watch some more Midsomer Murders.

What do you do when it's just you for a holiday?  Give me some more ideas.

Have a wonderful Sunday and a peaceful Thanksgiving.

Blessings.....

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I am not very brave about driving on icy roads. I love the beauty of new white snow but it does make driving a little tricky.We didn't get any real amount yet only a dusting.I love to have snow for awhile before Christmas to make all the lights look pretty etc.
Having seven children all close by we have never been alone for holidays but I am thinking a nice dinner out would be my pick if we ever are!
We have watched quite a few Midsommer Murders too- I love it when they show the villages or pretty homes.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving whatever you decide.

Carolyn

Thimbleanna said...

You're too funny Miss Jean -- you just said you're not going out until May and then you said you might go out for Thanksgiving ROFLOL!!!! We haven't been alone yet, but I'm thinking it won't be too many years as the boys get older and they have to share their time with spouses. Enjoy your time with just the two of you and your puppers. Oh -- and you should look into getting Netflix -- then you won't have to venture out at all!

Lynette said...

Gosh, yes! Thursday was terrible here for driving. I was flummoxed that our school district didn't call a delayed start. Fortunately, as you said, everybody was creeping along. Still saw three different emergency vehicle responses in the span of the 4 miles from here to the high school.