Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Calling all decorators!

I have a window problem and I need some advise. I have a sliding glass door in our bedroom. We recently redecorated and now I'm looking for window coverings. I have the drapes - some beautiful green/cream embossed panels that I found at - K Mart! Yes, K Mart! They are actually very lovely and just the perfect shade of soft green that match my green walls. Yes, the green walls painted Grasslands green by Kelly Moore that is so beautiful it brings tears to my eyes. Well, after 22 years of pink wallpaper anything would be an improvement!

The curtain panels are to be used with either rod pocket curtain rods or rods with clips. No problem. My problem is I want to put a sheer pinch pleet patio panel behind the drapes. I'll keep the drapes pulled to one side most of the time and want the ease of using the draw for the sheers. Just enough to let in some diffused light and to hide the dirty windows (keepin' it real here folks!).

My problem? I cannot find hardware that will suit this. It needs to probably be a double rod - traverse in the back and rod type in the front. I can't find one anywhere. I've checked all over the internet, Penney's, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc.. What do I do, ladies? Do I hang the drapes higher and the sheers lower? That would mess up the length I'm sure.

I suppose I need this:

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.


Anonymous said...

Hi Jean! Sounds like you are probably all finished with your Christmas decorating and have time for window treatments! I am not getting my Christmas up very fast at all-

You might check with some thrift stores for a double rod hardware. Some metal hardware has an adjustment for how deep, or far away from the wall the rod can hang. (does that even make sense?)
I know the older kind use to.

Well that probably helps like a bucket with a leak - gave me a good excuse to came say hi!

Snow has arrived again-


ocmist said...

I've got NO CLUE! The book looks like the best idea to ME! Your house sounds lovely. My son in Florida has a big sliding glass door in his bedroom that goes out to an enclosed patio with a small swimming pool and it is pretty neat. I stayed in that room for the three weeks that I was there when his wife was in the hospital just before she went home to the Lord this past January, as he couldn't bring himself to go in there.

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

I found one on Amazon - just use traverse rod for the search and it is the second one down - made by Levelor - have you tried a home store like Lowes or Home Depot.

Good luck,

Here's the url -

Thimbleanna said...

Sounds like Lynn has a solution for you! I was just going to suggest hanging two rods, one with deeper hardware if that's possible. I have a curtain problem too -- I need a rod that's 150" long -- I only find them up to 120". I just gave up long ago and it really hasn't bothered me too much to have a naked window!

PamKittyMorning said...

I looked on Country Curtains and found a double traverse rod.

But I think even Calico Corners or Lowes/HomeDepot would have something. I have a slider in my bedroom as well, and a ginormous one. HASSLE.

blushing rose said...

Wow! They used to have these traverse rods everywhere. Hope Country Curtains can help you out.

Pop over for our 6 Giveaways ... lots of Scotty Dogs gifts in them. We'd love you to join us ...
TTFN~ Marydon

Lydia said...

Country Curtains has some great window hardware to solve all sorts of problems.

However- if you have a quilt you are willing to split and piece together so that it makes a valance to the ceiling- no one is never going to know if the drapes and sheers aren't the same height.

Use plywood to make a box to staple the valance to- make it deep enough to accomodate the two window treatments. hot glue an edging if you wish- and you have a custom window treatment which suits your personality.