Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Garden Tour

I didn't realise that I had been m.i.a. for a week! Goodness, time flies when you are doing absolutely nothing but clean house, yard work, run errands, etc.. It seems that the entire country is being deluged with rain, and our little corner of the world is no different. May is usually dry in much warmer but it's been raining steady. My flowers are loving it, though. Too much, in fact. By now I have ripped out all my over-winter blooming pansies and replaced them with my summer annuals. I still have almost a dozen pots of pansies blooming their little faces off, defying me to dig them up! That's alright. There's always tomorrow or next week when it comes to gardening.

A couple Saturdays ago my sister and I went on a garden tour hosted by the garden club in a nearby city. They have one of the largest, most active garden clubs in the country, and their annual tour is a must-see for garden enthusiasts. This year they had, I believe, eight homes on the tour, which is self guided. So we hopped in Janice's car with our map and off we went. We had a wonderful time and saw some lovely gardens.

I used to think that I didn't want to go look at other peoples gardens. I figured that if they were good enough for a garden tour, I would be "jealous" and feel bad about mine. It turns out that that is so far off base I should be ashamed of myself. First, we're not supposed to be jealous of anyone about anything. It turns out that I am bombarded with wonderful inspiration and come home with a renewed energy to dig in and make my yard the best it can be. The one thing that always stands out follows one of my favorite sayings, "God is in the details!" Whether you have a little modest postage size garden or a huge, park-like setting, it's the details that make or break how it looks. Keeping it clean and picked up, trimmed and clipped doesn't take money, just time and pride.

Here are some pictures of the tour for you to enjoy. If there is a garden tour offered near you, jump on the chance to go. You won't be sorry!











Happy Spring!!

6 comments:

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

What beautiful gardens - I am so envious - about all I can grow are Dandelions, Tiger Lilies and Queen Anne's Lace, but i adore them all!!

Have a great day,
Lynn

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I would love to go on a garden tour! I love borrowing ideas. We are just finishing up the hardscape in our back yard and will slowly start to do the flowers, trees and shrubs...I can't wait!
Hugs,
Penny

Carolyn said...

I love going to garden tours too when I get the chance.

Carolyn

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

So glad you guys got to go to the tour that day. Looks like there was plenty of pretty yards to get inspired by! However, yours is always picture perfect, too.

Lallee said...

Thank you for taking us on tour too. All is so beautiful. It's always a treat to see varieties that can't be grown here. Yours is always beautiful so I look forward to seeing your new blooms sometime.

ChaChaneen said...

Sigh.... that was lovely! Thanks for the tour!