Monday, October 11, 2010

Fall Field Trip

My husband and I recently took my Mom, our grandson and Maggie to one of our favorite fall destination spots. It's called Apple Hill and is in the foothills near Placerville, California, about an hour and a half from our home. It's a scenic area with lots of apple farms that are open to the public in the fall. They sell everything apple and then some: mile high apple pies, caramel apples, apple cider, apple cider doughnuts and yes, even apples! You can drive around for hours and visit the farms, have lunch and just have a good old time. We've been going there for nearly 40 years and have our favorite spots. Nothing tastes better than eating a hot fresh doughnut from Rainbow Orchards on a picnic table under the apple trees in the rain. Ahhhhh, my kind of fun! Don't forget the pies at the Apple Pantry or the homemade caramel at High Hill Ranch. The list goes on and on! If you are anywhere near the area you should make a point to go. My advise? Go on a Friday. Saturdays and Sundays are crazy busy!!!



Our grandson and Maggie in front of an 800 pound pumpkin.


Watching the fun and eating a caramel marshmallow.


Everyone brings their dogs and Maggie had so much fun visiting them all.



Maggie trying to pick out a pumpkin.



Maggie making friends!




The fall colors are spectacular!!!


Beautiful apple trees.



Shiny, bright pumpkins.




Fall flowers - this is rudbeckia.


The chrysanthemums were blooming.



Scarecrows standing guard.




A restful spot!


It was a great day. The weather was perfect, cool and a little overcast. I hope you have somewhere near where you live where you can go and enjoy the season!


4 comments:

The Green Pea said...

Those pumpkins are a beautiful color orange. I have not seen a apple tree in years. This would be a great day trip. Thanks for the reminder of something to see!
hugs, sandi

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

What a fun day!! When we lived in SoCal, we used to go to Julian for our anniversary in November - I miss that, but we're making memories here too.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

What a gorgeous post! I love your photos!! mmmm...caramel anything is awesome!

xoxo
becky

ChaChaneen said...

My sister and I were just talking about this yesterday saying we've GOT to go this year. It's been 8 years since I've been... seems strange when at one time in my life I lived IN it. ha ha Last time I went, my girl was a baby in a stroller and I said never again in a stroller. ha ha The stroller was a dirty mess after 2 hours and too hard to navigate through the orchards, not to mention hauling it in and out of the car to visit each ranch. Now the kids are grown and able to WALK for hours, now is the time to GO GO GO!!