Monday, August 15, 2011

Sewing Seeds of Sunshine

*A quick note: Maggie was in a photo contest (see side bar). The contest has ended and the newspaper will be announcing the finalists sometime this week. I'll keep you posted!




Every year I always say I'm going to grow more of my flowers from seed. However, when it's time to plant, I just go out and buy flats of flowers. This year was no different, except I did get a package of Teddy Bear Sunflower seeds. I've never grown sunflowers before so I thought I would start out small . I'm hooked! They are super easy to grow and this little variety can be grown in a pot.




This is as tall as this plant is going to get. It adds just the right little touch of sunshine for the garden. I'm not sure if this variety will give me sunflower seeds to eat, but I really don't care. They are so pretty just as they are.




If you click on the picture to enlarge it you will notice some holes in the leaves. I'm not one to do lots of spraying for insects. We do have a spray service but they don't spray the plants, just the ground.




This is how the flowers start out - as tight buds.

Then they start opening up. They would be pretty just like this but they have more to go....





Gorgeous!!!!!


Next year I'll plant these again, along with some regular size ones to put directly into the garden.

3 comments:

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

They are gorgeous!!

How did Maggie fare in her contest? I'm hoping she won something.

xo
Lynn

Thimbleanna said...

They're beautiful Miss Jean! And was Maggie in a contest? She's a beauty queen!!! ;-D

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sunflowers! Good luck to Maggie...she is truly a winner!