Friday, November 9, 2012

Catching Up

Things are going well here.  We spent a great time yesterday with some friends that I met through blogging, Mary and her husband Bill.  They live about three hours south of here and were going out of state.  Since we live only about 20 minutes from Denver International Airport, we had them leave their truck here and we took them to the airport so they wouldn't have to pay for parking.  It gave us a perfect opportunity to catch up as we don't see them that often.  We do plan on driving down to visit soon, weather permitting.  Go check out Mary's blog. You're in for a treat.

I've been attempting to "get out there" and do things and meet people.  When you have a hobby like quilting, it's really easy to do.  I've joined a quilt guild and have met a great group of gals there. We have meetings once a month and an open sew day once a month.  I go to a quilt shop near here for open sewing one day a month and will start going on another day for a day of needlework.  I plan on working on hand sewing my bindings on that day.  The shop is expanding their square footage so both of these groups may start meeting twice a month.  Thanks, Jeanne!!!

Once a week I go to a meeting at a local Sew and Vacuum shop for sew and tell and a craft demonstration.  Great group of gals!

 I've just learned of another sewing group I want to look into and I plan on asking someone to refresh me in crocheting.  I'm going to drop in to the local library as they have a once a month garden club meeting.  I don't want to get too involved in that, but since Colorado gardening is so different than California, I need to get all the help I can.  Lastly, one of my neighbors has invited Maggie and I to go walking with her and her friend.

I guess the point of all this is that I know it's difficult to move away from family and friends.  You have no idea how it can hurt.  But if you are in the same position as I am, get out there!  Don't just sit at home.  If you have a hobby, look into local guilds and clubs.  If you don't have a "crafty" hobby, but you read and you miss your book club, go to the local library.  Perhaps they have book clubs like ours does.  Volunteering is another avenue to explore.  I have some ideas there that I would like to pursue but want to get through a snowy winter first so I can see how that will affect my going places.  Winters are not too severe here in this area so I'm hoping I can get out and volunteer and one of the local animal rescue shelters at least one day a month. You may be thinking that I've committed myself to to many things.  True.  However, that doesn't mean I have to do them all.  I can see which ones are best for me and pare them down.   In the meantime, like I said, I'm getting out there.

I miss my family and sewing friends something awful.  But when they come visit me look at all the wonderful places I can take them to and introduce them to some great people.

Have a wonderful weekend!  We are due for some cold, rainy and snowy weather this weekend so I plan on either quilting, reading or napping.  My guess it's going to be all three!!!


1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Good for you Miss Jean! It sounds like you're having a great time getting to know your new locale. I wish my youngest had your attitude. He doesn't want to come back home where he knows people, but he doesn't really want to "get out there" in his new town either. Knothead!